What is SEO copywriting and why is it important to my site?
Welcome back! In this week’s web-writing video how-to, Heather strips SEO copywriting down to the bare bones: what it is, how it differs from straight copywriting, and why it is so important for web pages and sites.
A lot of folks unfamiliar with SEO copywriting basics find that their new website or newly-uploaded web pages are not performing well in terms of rankings in Google or Bing search results. If this sounds like you, then learning how to write for search engines may help you take your site from where it is now to where you would like it to be.
Join Heather as she discusses the SEO copywriting fundamentals:
1. Definition of SEO copywriting
Taking it down to the fundamentals, SEO copywriting (or SEO content) is online writing that includes keyphrases.*
Keyphrases are designed to help that online text rank better in the search engines. For those of you new to SEO copywriting terms, “keyphrases” simply refers to those *words people type into a search box to find the information they need.
- So SEO copywriting is a very different kind of writing than just straight copywriting, because you’re also looking at what the search engines are looking at in terms of what people are searching for – and then making sure that those search terms are in the content.
2. SEO copywriting satisfies two masters
This doesn’t mean once you know the search terms you want to include them as much as possible in the copy. More is not better. Good SEO copywriting actually satisfies two masters.
Yes, you want to achieve those search engine rankings, but as importantly, you want that same writing to satisfy your customers. You want the writing to resonate with the folks coming to your site and help them think, “all right, I’m at the right place, I can trust this company, and I want to read more (or, I want to buy now).”
- So with skilled SEO copywriting, your writing is actually straddling that line: you’re writing really, really good content for your users, but you also know what the search engines need to see in order to help that page get a better search position – so you’re adding those elements, as well.
3. Why is good SEO copywriting so important?
Marketing expert Seth Godin has said that the best SEO is great content.
This is really exciting, because is shows your writing – how and what you write – has everything to do with customer satisfaction, search engine ranking, traffic to your blog, and financial success.
- Good SEO copywriting engages your customers, makes you money and attracts incoming links.
4. The key is quality content
How you write what you write is critical.
- Include keyphrases – yes. But focus more on writing great content for your users.
And the reason for that is not only do your readers want a good experience – they don’t want to suffer poorly-written, keyphrase-stuffed content – but also the search engines want to see quality content.
For those of you new to SEO, Google recently (within the past few months) updated their algorithm so that pages with “thin” content (i.e., little substance, many keyphrases) got “demoted” from the top spots in the Google search listings, because Google wants to see (and reward) good, meaty, quality content.
- So yes, while you want to include SEO elements into your writing, don’t assume that more is better. The search engines are looking for what your readers are looking for – solid, quality content.
5. If your online writing wasn’t written with SEO in mind…
You are not alone – there are a lot of site owners in the same boat. And…
- Good news! You have a huge opportunity!
You can start learning how to write for search engines and master those SEO copywriting basics. You can learn how to take those pages that might not be positioning where you want, and see them start to gain ranking in search engines and see more traffic to your site as a result.
Thanks for tuning in! If you have a question for Heather, please feel free to shoot her an email at email@example.com, and you may well see it video-answered next week. See you then!