3 Ways to get “Back to the Basics” of SEO copywriting
Life often gets complicated and overwhelming during the Christmas holiday season. As you wind down the year and think about your New Year’s resolution, consider keeping it simple.
Heather takes us “Back to the Basics” with three fundamental SEO copywriting how-to videos. Watch and be reminded how sticking to the basics of SEO copywriting can improve your business in 2013.
At its core, SEO copywriting (or SEO content) is online writing that includes keyphrases, i.e. words people type into a search box to find the information they need.
Some say the best SEO is great content. Your writing – how and what you write – has everything to do with customer satisfaction, search engine ranking, traffic to your blog, and financial success. Good SEO copywriting engages your customers, makes you money and attracts incoming links.
SEO/keyphrase editing and SEO copywriting are very different:
- SEO (Keyphrase) Editing: SEO editing is most appropriate for existing content that isn’t crucial to the sales/conversion goals of the copy. It means taking the most relevant, applicable keywords and phrases for a page and working them in where they naturally fit: you’re not rewriting or substantively revising the existing copy.
- Copywriting for SEO: SEO copywriting means you’re starting from scratch, and creating the content geared for a customer persona, including call to action, tone and feel of the site, and other copywriting fundamentals, while massaging in the keywords and keyphrases as you write.
Great Titles help increase search engine rankings – and help visitors convert from the search engine results page (SERP) page.
Titles have a very specific structure:
- Page Titles are limited to 50 – 75 characters, including spaces. Try to keep them to around 69 characters.
- The Page Title “lives” above your browser window, and appears in the backend code framed as <title>My Cool Web Page<title>
- Be sure to include the keyphrases you use for the page in the Title for that page
- Well-written Titles paired with strong content help pages position well on the SERP
- Clickable, compelling Titles tempt your prospects to click on your link rather than the nine competing links on the SERP, improving your website’s click-thru rate
photo thanks to Noell (Noell Hyman)
Would you like to become an SEO copywriter? If so, I have Big News – I’m extending the 20% discount on the SEO Certification training. But today is your last chance to receive the savings. Enroll in the program by midnight tonight and use code GRATEFUL20 to grab your savings!