3 ways to learn the SEO copywriting ropes
Last week, we discussed the three crucial skills that every SEO copywriter needs to succeed. Today, we’re going to show you how to cultivate these skills.
Don your headset and check out this mini-tutorial on three ways to learn the ropes of SEO copywriting:
Here’s a recap of the essential points:
1. Read… A Lot!
SEO copywriting is truly a multi-disciplinary field incorporating direct response, content marketing, neuromarketing, and buyer psychology – as well as solid SEO and copywriting skills. A suggested list for your reading, as a starting point, includes:
- Direct Response: Bob Bly
- SEO: Search Engine Land
- Copywriting: Clayton Makepeace, Copyblogger
- Marketing: Seth Godin
- Content Marketing: Lee Odden (Top Rank), Joe Pulizzi (Junta 42, CMI)
- Branding & Neuromarketing: Martin Lindstrom
- Buyer Psychology: Robert Caldini
2. Expand Your Educational Horizons
The best learning doesn’t occur in a vacuum. Consider tapping into the training resources offered by local and online SEO copywriting and marketing groups, and connect with your colleagues:
- Local copywriting and marketing training groups
- American Writers and Artists (AWAI) groups and conferences
- Search Engine Strategies (SES) conferences and events
- Marketing Prof’s webinars and events
- SEO Copywriting Certification training and support forum
3. Take Your SEO Copywriting to the Next Level
There are a lot of good SEO copywriters out there – which is all the more incentive for you to be great! Consider taking your SEO copywriting skills to the next level via opportunities like these:
- Professional Internship: It may not pay, but you can build up your skills and a fantastic portfolio by interning for an SEO copywriting/marketing company.
- Ground-Level Company Position: Take that entry-level position with a company and work your way up, while letting them pay for your SEO copywriting education and experience.
- Work With a Mentor: There is nothing more powerful than cultivating a one-on-one relationship with an established SEO copywriting professional. The personalized attention, guidance, and feedback are well worth the investment in this Master’s level training.
Thanks for tuning in! Do you have any ideas or resources you’d like to add? By all means, please do! Hope you will join us for next week’s video post, when we’ll discuss FAQ’s for SEO copywriters. See you then!