SEO content marketing roundup, week ending January 23rd
In other Web-writing news, content marketers discuss blogging and branded content, SEO and search pro’s talk about link-building and initiatives by the other search engines, while the social media community says goodbye to LinkedIn’s “Answers.” Enjoy this week’s picks!
Shane Snow posts “In the World of Branded Content, Original Always Wins” at AdAge (digital).
Joe Pulizzi discusses some interesting research findings in “A Consumer Content Marketing Conundrum on Brand Content” at Content Marketing Institute.
Jason Burby posts “Marketing’s New Mandate: Invitation vs. Interruption” at ClickZ.
Doug Kessler discusses “Why Marketers Need to Rise Above the Deluge of Crappy Content” at HubSpot.
Jessica Lee posts “When Your Audience Hates Your Content Marketing Plan” at Bruce Clay, Inc..
Mark Burgess posts “Lessons for Small Businesses from the Top Marketing Professors” at (AT&T) Networking Exchange.
eMarketer reports that “Dramatic increases in mobile shoppers and buyers predicted” with “More Shoppers Reach for Mobile to Browse, Buy.”
Marketing Sherpa’s weekly research chart measures “Customers interacting with mobile email messages.”
Shelly Kramer posts “Email Marketing: 6 Best Practices to Implement Today” at V3 Integrated Marketing.
Heidi Cohen discusses “Blogging ROI: 15 Ways Blogs Make Money” at her site.
Melissa Fach discusses “Using SlideShare for Research and Blog Posts” at Small Business Trends.
Mack Collier discusses “Creating Advanced Content and the Role of Deeper Discussions on Blogs.”
Margaret Pincus shares “10 Secrets of Professional Writers Every Blogger Should Know” at Jeff Bullas’s blog.
Pratik Dholakiya posts “The Ultimate Guide to Advanced Guest Blogging” at SEOmoz.
Brianne Shelley posts “How to Make Sure Your Website Passes the Dreaded Blink Test” at HubSpot.
Jason Konopinski posts “Pitching Journalists In An Age of Pageview Journalism” at Blogging PRWeb.
- eMarketing + Commerce (eM+C) will hold its second annual intensive “All About Email Live!” series of workshops in Atlanta, GA, on January 31st.
- Content Success Summit 2012 (“Online Content Marketing Mega Conference”) is on (and completely online) starting February 5th.
- Marketing Sherpa’s Email Summit 2013 will take place in Las Vegas from February 12th thru the 15th.
- Content Marketing World Sydney (yes, Australia) is scheduled for March 4th thru the 6th. Register by January 31st for early bird savings!
- The BtoB Digital (Marketing) Live Conference is scheduled for March 20th in San Francisco. Register by February 1st for early bird savings!
- IQPC’s Content Strategies Summit will be held March 20th thru the 22nd in Miami Beach, FL. Register by Friday, January 25th, to receive up to $600 off!
SEO & Search
Neil Patel discusses “The State of SEO: What’s Working Now” at Quicksprout.
Krista LaRiviere posts “SEO Buying & Selling Tricks that Create Unachievable SEO Results & Expectations” at gShiftLabs.
Greg Sterling posts “Google Revenues: $14.4 Billion In Q4, Over $50 Billion In 2012” at Marketing Land.
Meanwhile, Barry Schwartz reports on “Google Panda Update Version #24; 1.2% Of Search Queries Impacted” at Search Engine Land.
Gabriella Sannino shares an infographic outlining “The Complete History of Google Algorithms: 2003 – 2012” at Search News Central.
Kara Swisher posts “Searching for Relevance: Yahoo Aims to Be the ‘Google of Content’” at All Things D.
Matt McGee posts “SEO For Facebook Graph Search? Facebook Has Some Tips” at Search Engine Land.
McGee also discusses “What Local Search Looks Like in Facebook’s New Graph Search” at Small Business Search Marketing.
Kate Kaye posts “Q&A: 360i’s Kevin Geraghty on Facebook Search and a Lethal-Sounding Data Structure” at Ad Age (digital).
Julie Joyce discusses “Social Media Link Building” at Search Engine Watch.
Danny Sullivan shares his first try-out of Bing’s new tag feature with “Bing Tag Expands, Makes Pages Linked To Your Profile” at Search Engine Land.
Nick Bernard shares a truly interesting “instructographic” on email outreach for link building with “How to Write an Effective Email” at Portent.
Kate Morris discusses guest blogging outreach and link building with “Apply the Golden Rule to Guest Posting” at SEOmoz.
Laura Crest posts “Our favorite SEO copywriting guest posts: 12 from 2012” at SEO Copywriting.
Matt McGee discusses “The #1 Problem with Local Blogging & Local Content” at Small Business Search Marketing.
Chuck Price posts “Unnatural Links Recovery: Emerging from a Manual Penalty” at Search Engine Watch.
Trond Lyngbo asks “Are You Getting These SEO Fundamentals Right?” at Search Engine Land.
Gabriella Sannino shares “Insight into an International SEO Audit: Before the Work Begins” at Level 343.
David Harry posts “SEO Reporting: How Much is Too Much?” at Search Engine Watch.
Ian Lurie posts “5 Whopping Lies That Keep SEO At Status Quo” at Search Engine Land.
Heather Lloyd-Martin discusses “What print copywriters need to know about SEO copywriting” at SEO Copywriting.
Sean McGinnis discusses “Online Reputation Management in 6 Easy Steps” at V3 Integrated Marketing.
Eric Covino interviews Pushfire’s Sean Dolan with “Knowledge, Profit & Love: Sean Dolan of Pushfire on SEO” at SEOBook.
- If you happen to be in Seattle, take advantage of this low-cost, high-value meet-up, “Seattle Information Architecture & User Experience,” featuring Ian Lurie of Portent and Ruth Burr of SEOmoz. It’s on February 12th at 7 p.m.
- SES London is on for next month, February 18th thru the 21st.
- SMX West is scheduled for March 11th thru the 13th in San Jose, CA. Register by February 1st for early bird savings!
- SMX Toronto is scheduled for March 20th and 21st. Register by January 25th for early bird savings!
- SES New York will return to The Big Apple March 25th thru the 28th. Register by February 21st for early bird rates!
Social Media Marketing
Doug Antkowiak posts “Who Should Care About Facebook Graph Search? (Hint: Everyone)” at Portent.
Larry Weintraub posts “Facebook SEO Comes to Life as Graph Search Launches” at Social Media Today.
Josh Wolford posts “Facebook Graph Search, Your Privacy, and What You Can Do” at WebProNews.
Ekaterina Walter posts “Facebook: Can It Keep Growing?” at Brian Solis’s blog.
Todd Wasserman posts “RIP LinkedIn Answers” at Mashable.
Kent Lewis shares “Six Alternatives to LinkedIn Questions & Answers” at Business 2 Community.
Jasmine Sandler discusses “What the 200 Million Milestone Means to LinkedIn Users” at Search Engine Watch.
Juliette Kopecky discusses relative B2B social networking mojo with “LinkedIn: Pages Vs. Groups” at Marketing Land.
Lee Odden posts “Scaling Social Media Selling – 7 Steps to Building Trust & Credibility” at Top Rank.
Mitch Joel discusses “Three New(ish) Trends in Digital Media” at Six Pixels of Separation’s TwistImage blog.
Jay Baer posts “The New Skill Every Social Media Marketer Must Possess” at Convince and Convert.
Gini Dietrich poses the question, “Is Social Business a Buzzword or is There More to it?” at Spin Sucks.
Brian Solis posts “Social media is not your saving grace: Experiences should first be defined and supported.”
Kristi Hines posts “Getting Started With the New Myspace: What Businesses Need to Know” at Social Media Examiner.
Dion Hinchcliffe posts “2013 predictions for enterprise social media” at ZDNet.
- Social Media Marketing World is scheduled to take place in San Diego from April 7th thru the 9th.
- For an all-in-one listing and description of social media, content & inbound marketing events, check out Neal Schaffer’s “The 12 Best Social Media Conferences to Attend in 2013” at Social Media Today.
photo thanks to sherifer22
Learn how to build a business that will not only survive, but thrive! Register for the Copywriting Business Boot Camp and learn how to start a successful SEO copywriting business. Hurry! There’s limited space & classes start February 11th!